loading Loading, please wait...

Fort Worth Contractor License Search

How to Verify a Professional's License in Fort Worth?

A wide range of occupations, businesses, and facilities in Fort Worth City require professional licenses to operate. This licensing is handled both at the state and the local levels. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), through 39 programs, regulates and licenses most professionals at the state level, while additional city licenses are required for certain professionals including mobile food vendors, health practitioners, and credit access businesses. Local licenses are issued by the city's Development Service Department and can be verified by using the Fort Worth Citizen Access Portal or by calling (817) 392-2222. Similarly, you can verify state-issued professional licenses by using the TDLR's Active License Data Search portal.

Note that in addition to having license requirements for certain categories of professionals, the City of Fort Worth also requires residents to obtain permits before carrying out certain projects within its jurisdiction. To determine and apply for the relevant permit for your project, you can contact the Fort Worth Development Service Department.

Do Fort Worth Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Fort Worth is made up of eight council districts, and members of the city council are elected from each of these districts. The council, on its part, has the power to adopt municipal ordinances and resolutions, make proclamations, set the city's tax rates, approve the city's budget, and appoint key officials in the city. However, it lacks the power to issue permits for construction-related activities within the city. Nonetheless, the council approves and embarks on several capital projects to ensure the development of the city's infrastructure. For example, the city council approved the installation of sidewalks and ADA ramps at five locations around the city to ensure increased safeness and accessibility of roads for all residents of the city, and this project was slated for completion by August 2021. Likewise, the council implemented a park master plan for a new community park in far north Fort Worth. The project, which was completed in July 2021, included the construction of athletic fields, athletic field lighting, trails parking, security lighting, and supporting infrastructure and equipment. You can check out the online district map provided by the city to access details about the council district your neighborhood belongs to.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Fort Worth?

Residents of Fort Worth can file unfair business complaints against unscrupulous professionals with the Office of the Texas Attorney General. Interested persons can do this online, by calling (800) 621-0508, or by mailing a completed Consumer Complaint Form (also available in Spanish) to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

However, complaints that involve allegations of criminal activity should be reported to the Fort Worth Police Department by filing an online report or by calling the relevant police line.

Upon filing your complaint, the Consumer Protection Division will review it and take appropriate actions in the public interest which may include suing the professional. However, while the division may file a civil action against a professional or business, this is usually not done on behalf of the complainant. As such, to secure damages from a culpable professional business, you should consider hiring a competent attorney to assist you in instituting a claim for compensation. Such a case will usually be heard by the Tarrant County Justice of Peace Court which has a jurisdictional limit of $10,000 for compensatory claims.