Get Quotes from Top Movers in Fort Worth, TX
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Mover in Fort Worth
Moving can be stressful, and it also comes with the risk of losing some of your household items and personal effects during the process. An average Texan moves more than 11 times in their lifetime and it is essential to hire a good mover to avoid any loss. When in search of a moving company in Fort Worth, it is important to ask these questions to ensure that the company is competent to handle the job:
- Are You Licensed to Practice as a Moving Company in Fort Worth?
- How Much Do You Charge Compared with Other Movers in Fort Worth?
- Will You Get a Moving Permit as Required by Fort Worth Regulations?
- What Kind of Moving Services Do You Offer?
- Do You Provide Packing and Storage Services?
- What is an Appropriate Tip for Your Movers in Fort Worth?
- Do You Carry the Necessary Insurance Policy for Movers in Fort Worth?
- Can You Provide References or Recommendations in Fort Worth?
- How to File a Complaint Against a Bad Moving Company in Fort Worth
Per state law, moving companies must register with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) before operating in the City of Fort Worth. If a moving company fails to comply with this requirement, it could be fined up to $30,000.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles' eLINC platform allows individuals to complete the registration process for their moving company. The department reviews applications within 24 to 48 hours. After that, the applicant receives an email with additional instructions. After the application has been approved, the applicant receives a Unique Identification Number (UID) that they can use to provide their insurance companies with details about their insurance obligations. Once the moving company completes the registration process, the applicant receives an email that informs them that they have to log in to a separate MCCS platform to pay the applicable registration fees, which completes the registration process.
After the registration process is complete, the UID is converted to a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Certificate Number, which allows the moving company to legally provide moving services in Fort Worth and the State of Texas.
Before you hire a moving company, make sure that it has been registered with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. This ensures that the company you hire is licensed and has the necessary resources to carry out the job. You can check this through the Texas Truck Stop online search platform. You can also check the status of your registration application by calling (800) 299-1700 and pressing options 3-4-3. For inquiries regarding the registration process for commercial vehicles used by movers, you can contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles at (800) 299-1700.
Aside from completing the necessary registration process in the state, moving companies in Fort Worth also have to meet various local business requirements to operate in the city. These include registering with the Texas Secretary of State if the moving company wants to operate as a limited liability company or an incorporated firm. In addition, the moving company must register with the Tarrant County Clerk's Office located at:Tarrant County Clerk's Office
100 W. Weatherford,
Fort Worth 76196
Phone: (817) 884-1195
Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Also, the moving company must get a federal tax identification number from the Internal Revenue Services. You can contact the Texas Secretary of State at (512) 463-5555 for more information regarding the registration process for moving companies in the City of Fort Worth.
If you intend to move your items from the State of Texas to another state in the country, it is a good idea to check if the Federal Motor Safety Administration has authorized the company you are considering for the interstate moving services. You can use the online search portal provided by the FMCSA to verify if they have been duly authorized.
A good way to determine if your intended moving company in Fort Worth is suitable for the job is by looking at how much they will charge you for the moving services. Various factors can affect the total amount you will have to pay for their services, including the distance of the move, number of movers involved, size/weight of the items being moved, and accessibility to the moving locations.
When calculating the charges for a moving company either using hourly rates or weight/distance rates, it's important to note that these rates cannot exceed the maximum rates and charges provided by the Texas Department of Transportation.
Nonetheless, it is essential to get written estimates from multiple moving companies in the area. This will allow you to compare their prices and make an informed decision before finalizing the work contract. Although it's important to get a low-cost estimate, it shouldn't be the sole factor that determines the hiring decision of a moving company. You should also consider other factors such as the condition of their facilities and reputation. In addition, make sure that they have all the necessary equipment and materials to complete the job effectively.
Transportation and material moving workers in Fort Worth earn an average annual wage of $42,890. The list below compares the average hourly wages earned by these workers in the city against those of transportation and material moving workers in other parts of the State of Texas as well as several other major cities in the country:
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDMV) sets weight and size limits for all vehicles used on the state's roads and bridges. Before a moving company can use a vehicle or carry loads that exceed these stated limits, it must obtain a permit from the department. The department has several permit options that are available to first-time applicants. If a moving company needs advice on choosing the right permit fit for their job specification, they can call the TxDMV toll-free number 1-800-299-1700 to get assistance. Alternatively, the moving company can go to the department's TxPROS online permitting system and create a user account to access the system's features. Once logged in, they can select the Permit Wizard option.
Once the permit option has been determined, the relevant application form can be submitted online via the TxPROS permitting system or by mailing it to the address provided on the form. Before a permit is issued, a fee is usually required. Once a permit has been issued, the permittee will be required to comply with the various permit restrictions that are currently in place in the City of Fort Worth. For instance, permitted vehicles that cannot reduce axle weights for 58,420 pounds may travel on GVW Load Zoned highways only if the load has an origin or destination on these highways.
Permittees can contact the Fort Worth District of the Texas Department of Transportation at (817) 370-6527 for more information regarding permit restrictions applicable to commercial vehicles in the city. For questions regarding the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) requirements and conditions for oversized and overweight permits, you can contact the agency's toll-free number at 1-800-299-1700 on Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fort Worth's moving companies provide various services such as:
- Commercial moving services
- Residential moving services
- Specialty moving services.
Commercial and residential moving services involve relocating one's home or office to another location. These services can be performed within the city, in different cities, or even across the country. Meanwhile, specialty moving services involve add-on services like the installation of furniture, item packing and unpacking, and the storage of various household goods.
Before you hire a moving company, you must confirm that they have the necessary resources and equipment to provide you with the best possible moving service. Confirm from the company their availability, and then request an inspection of their facilities and moving vehicles to make sure that they are up to the task. Then get an estimate of charges and rates before you finalize an agreement with a moving company. This is a red flag if the company doesn't provide this information after inspecting the items that have to be moved.
Cost estimates for some services that are commonly offered by movers in the City of Fort Worth are provided below:
Before or after the move, you may need to pack and store various items depending on the nature of the moving task. If you need a moving company that can provide you with all of the services that you need, such as storage and transportation, it is advisable to hire them instead of using multiple moving companies. This ensures that the entire process is handled by one company, which eliminates the possibility of errors and delays during the move.
Some common situations where a homeowner in Fort Worth may require a storage facility when relocating include:
- The new home is not ready yet
- They would like to move their items at their own pace.
- They would like to make sure that their belongings are in a secure location while they are decluttering other items.
In addition, you should choose a moving company in Fort Worth that will be able to provide you with the necessary parking services. There are various types of parking services that they offer, and these include:
- Full packing or unpacking: This process involves packing and unpacking all your belongings from the current home to the new house. This usually involves the movers handling all aspects of the move.
- Unpacking or partial packing: It is a process that involves packing and unpacking only the items that have been specified.
- Self-packing/unpacking: This process involves the homeowner taking the initiative and putting their items in the boxes. The movers then wrap the items and place them in the locations that they have been requested. The homeowner also unpacks their times when they are moved to the desired location.
Always confirm from your intended moving company what they will do with your items during the packing process and when they are in storage. It's also important to check out the company's facility and ensure that it's secure and well-equipped. Some movers also charge separately for storage, while others include the cost of this service in their total charges. Ensure you have all the estimates correctly for the move from the moving company.
Moving can be a stressful and energy-consuming process, and it is important to show appreciation to the company that provides the best possible moving services by tipping the movers. Although the standard for tipping in Fort Worth is $5 to $10 per mover, you can also check with the company to see their tipping amount. Although tipping is not obligatory, it is still important to consider the following various factors when deciding on the amount you should give to the movers.
- The complexity of the move.
- Their punctuality
- How well they treated your items
- Their general demeanor
If you are not satisfied with the movers' work, then it is unlikely that you will tip them. Instead, if any of the movers were rude, disrespectful, or manhandled your items, you should report them to the moving company.
Road crashes are estimated to cost the United States around $380 million in direct medical costs annually. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2020, there were over 1,000 fatal accidents and over 200,000 non-fatal injuries reported in the transportation and material moving industry.
Hiring a moving company with the proper insurance coverage and bonding can help minimize the financial liability that you might face if something goes wrong during your move. Hiring an uninsured moving company means you will incur liabilities, like paying for the damages and being held liable for the cost of treating the injuries moving sustained while on your moving job.
Moving companies in Fort Worthmusto maintain certain insurance minimums per Rule 218.16 of the Texas Administrative Code. The applicable insurance requirements include:
- A minimum cargo insurance of $5,000 for loss or damage to total cargo carried by one vehicle. Alternatively, $10,000 for aggregate loss or damage to multiple shipper cargoes carried on one vehicle.
- A minimum automobile liability insurance of $300,000 when moving items with a gross weight that is less than 26,000 pounds
- A minimum automobile liability insurance of $500,000 when moving items with a gross weight that is more than 26,000 pounds
- A minimum accidental or workers' compensation insurance coverage of $300,000 for medical expenses and $100,000 for accidental death or dismemberment
Before hiring a moving company in the city, make sure that they have all the necessary licenses and insurance requirements. Doing so can protect you from getting into legal trouble if something goes wrong during your move. You can request a copy of their insurance certificate and make sure you authenticate such certificate with the issuing insurance provider. You can also contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles at (800) 299-1700 to get more information about the insurance requirements for moving companies in Fort Worth.
Before hiring a moving company in Fort Worth, ensure that they can provide you with references and letters of recommendation from their previous clients. Typically, a reputable moving company will not hesitate to give references from past clients. If they are not willing to provide these details, it's a red flag that they cannot meet your expectations. Some companies will also provide testimonials and reviews from their past clients on their websites. However, it's essential to ask them for references so that you can get a first-hand account of their experiences.
Before you start planning to relocate, it is important to thoroughly check out the various signs that indicate a potential scam. These signs can help prevent potential issues from arising. Some of these signs include:
- The Moving company provided an estimate without thoroughly inspecting the items that would be moved. Note that this step should be performed before the estimate is provided.
- The moving company provides a lower estimate than the one provided by the other moving company.
- The moving company will typically tell you that they do not require a Bill of Laden or other written contracts.
- The moving company will ask you to sign a blank contract.
- The moving company will typically ask for total payment upfront. This usually includes the cost of the moving equipment and the packing materials.
- The moving company does not have any verifiable contact information.
You can protect yourself against fraudulent and unscrupulous movers in Fort Worth by taking the following steps when looking to hire a moving company in the city:
- Make sure that the moving company you intend to hire is insured. They should also discuss your options with you regarding damage and loss protection and ensure it is put into writing and signed.
- Make sure you have an inventory of the items you intend to move.
- Ensure you are provided with a Bill of Lading by the moving company. This is a contract that sets forth the company's responsibilities and liability. It should also contain the details of the services they will provide.
- Get multiple estimates from multiple moving companies in Fort Worth. Before you start working with them, ensure that they have the necessary documents, such as their tariff, which indicate the maximum rates that the company may charge, as approved by the TxDMV.
- Ensure that the moving company provides you with a written Rights and Responsibilities document that explains your expectations as a customer.
- Execute a moving services contract and ensure you request it after the items have been delivered. Ensure that the moving company has a completed contract that includes all its charges.
- Avoid verbal agreements. Ensure all contracts are duly documented and signed. Do not sign any agreement that you do not understand or is blank.
- Request for referral of a good moving company in the City of Fort Worth from trusted sources like family, friends, and colleagues. You can also use third-party review websites like the Better Business Bureau and the Southwest Movers Association to check reviews of different moving companies in Fort Worth.
- Ensure that the intended moving company has been registered with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. This ensures that they are authorized to conduct business in Fort Worth. You can do this via the department's Texas Truck Stop search platform or check their license status through Uhire's online license search platform.
If you have a dispute with your moving company regarding damages, charges, or other issues, you must file a written claim with them no later than 90 days following the delivery date. This claim should include all necessary details to help you get the compensation you seek. You should also include the exact amount you are requesting in the claim. If the company does not provide you with the compensation you seek, it must pay you or make a settlement offer within 20 days. If the goods you claim are damaged, you should keep them in their original containers until the claim is resolved.
If you are unsatisfied with the response of the moving company, you can request mediation by completing and submitting a Household Goods Mover Mediation Request Form to the Texas Department Of Motor Vehicles by email or by mailing it to the address provided at the bottom of the form. You can also submit the completed application form via fax to (512) 465-5652. Make sure you request mediation no later than 30 days after the failure of the moving company to respond to your claim. If the request is not made within this period, the claim will be null and void.
You can also file complaints against a moving company in Fort Worth with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV). You can submit a complaint form online by emailing a detailed description of the issue or calling (888) 368-4689 between 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays. If the complaint relates to an interstate move, then the issue should be referred to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration of the United States Department of Transportation, which regulates motor carriers either online or by calling 1-888-368-7238.