loading Loading, please wait...

El Paso Contractor License Search

How to Verify a Professional's License in El Paso?

Most professionals in El Paso require licenses corresponding to their occupation to legally offer their services in the city. These licenses are either issued at the state level or by the city. However, certain professionals, such as those that operate in the construction industry, are usually required to register their state-issued licenses in the city.

At the state level, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) regulates and licenses 39 classes of professionals and interested persons can verify most state-issued licenses through the TDLR's Active License Data Search portal. On the other hand, the El Paso Business Licensing Center is responsible for licensing a wide range of local services and registering state-licensed professionals. You can contact the center by calling (915) 212-0104, faxing (915) 212-0105, or via email to verify municipal licenses and registrations in El Paso.

Additionally, be sure to obtain all necessary permits if you're embarking on a project that involves constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, moving, or changing the occupancy of a building or structure. The city's Planning and Inspections Department is responsible for issuing these permits, and you can contact the department to inquire about necessary permits for your project by calling (915) 212-0104.

Do El Paso Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

El Paso is divided into eight council districts, each having an elected representative on the City Council. The City Council does not issue permits. However, it performs other critical functions including approving the city's budget, representing various segments of the community, and enacting ordinances and resolutions. In addition to these, the council also approves city-led construction projects such as the ongoing citywide Bicycle Connectivity Infrastructure Program which involves the construction of bike lanes, bike boulevards, and shared lane markings on city roads to improve residents mobility. Similarly, the council also approved the construction of sidewalks, ADA ramps, and crosswalks at the Chamizal Neighborhood, which is slated for completion in 2021. You can find out your district of residence by using the City of El Paso District Locator.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in El Paso?

Residents of El Paso can file complaints against professionals that engage in deceptive business practices by calling the City of El Paso's Code Compliance at (915) 212-6048. Similarly, complaints that include crime allegations can be filed with the El Paso Police Department by calling (915) 832-4400. You will usually be required to provide copies of any evidence you have, including contracts, receipts of payments made, and correspondence with the individual or business. Complaints are usually forwarded to the Criminal Unit of the El Paso County Attorney's Office, which then institutes a public interest action aimed at securing punishment for the culpable individual or business. To secure compensatory damages against an unscrupulous professional, it is advisable to also engage the services of a competent attorney and file a civil suit. This attorney can assist you with bringing an action before the El Paso County Justice of Peace Court, which has jurisdiction over small claims not exceeding $10,000 in value.