loading Loading, please wait...

San Antonio Contractor License Search

How to Verify a Professional's License in San Antonio?

The City of San Antonio requires professionals that operate within its jurisdiction to possess licenses pertaining to their occupation. Therefore, before you hire one, it is critical that you confirm that the individual, business, or facility holds the required license to offer such a service. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) is responsible for regulating and licensing professionals operating in 39 industries including air conditioning and refrigeration, combative sports, massage therapy, and barbering. These licenses can be verified by using the TDLR's Active License Data Search portal. The San Antonio Development Service Department (DSD) also has additional registration requirements for professionals involved in construction-related activities. You can confirm this registration by using the city's Contractors Connect Portal. Likewise, the city also issues licenses to other professionals including food services and peddlers through its Health District and Finance Department respectively. These municipal licenses can be verified by calling (210) 207-8780 for food services and (210) 207-5734 for peddlers.

Note that if you're hiring a professional for a construction-related activity, San Antonio laws also require you to obtain relevant permits for such an activity. Construction permits are granted by the city's Development Service Department (DSD) on a project-by-project basis, and they vary depending on the type of project. As such it is recommended that you contact the DSD by calling (210) 207-1111 to determine the relevant permits before embarking on a construction project.

Do San Antonio Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of San Antonio is divided into 10 council districts, with each district having an elected representative in the City Council. Although the Council does not issue construction permits, it has a wide range of powers including adopting the city's budget, approving mayoral appointees, levying taxes, and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances. For example, in 2019, the representative of Council District 9, submitted a Council Consideration Request mandating the DSD to review and provide recommendations on the Local Government Code to restrain overnight construction for certain types of projects. Earlier, the Council had approved the renovation of the Old Grissom Road, and this project included the construction of a bicycle underpass and an overlay roadway. You can use the City Council District Map to ascertain which district your neighborhood belongs to.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in San Antonio?

The Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) prohibits unfair business practices in the City of San Antonio. Therefore, if you fall victim to an unscrupulous business or professional in the city, you can file an unfair business complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General's Office. To do this, complete the Consumer Complaint Form (also available in Spanish) and mail it to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

You can also file consumer complaints online or by calling the Division at (800) 621-0508. However, if your complaint alleges a crime on the part of the business, you should also file a report with the San Antonio Police Department. After verifying a complaint, these agencies will usually pursue disciplinary or civil actions against the business on behalf of the public. The aim of these actions is usually to punish the defaulting business or professional, hence, these agencies may not be able to secure compensation for the wrongful actions of the professional on your behalf. As such, in addition to filing a complaint with the relevant agency, it is advised that you also hire a competent attorney to assess your prospects of instituting an action for damages before the Bexar County Justice Court. Note that the jurisdiction of the Justice Court extends to small claims not exceeding $20,000.