loading Loading, please wait...

Laredo Contractor License Search

How to Verify a Professional's License in Laredo?

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) oversees the licensing and regulation of over 30 professionals across Texas, including the City of Laredo. Certain professionals also have to undergo additional city-based registration in Laredo before offering their services to interested parties within the city. These professionals include general contractors, who must obtain their licenses from the city's Department of Building Development Services (DBDS). Residents of Laredo can confirm a professional's state-issued license through the TDLR active license search portal or by contacting the TDLR at (512) 463-6599. Local professional registration statuses can also be confirmed by contacting the Laredo Department of Building Development Services at (956) 794-1625.

Besides the city's licensing requirements, there may be other regulatory requirements that professionals must also meet before undertaking jobs in Laredo. For example, any professional undertaking a construction or building project must obtain the applicable permit. Failure to do so may result in the project's suspension, attract fines, or other penalties. The city's DBDS issues these building permits, and queries can be directed to it at (956) 794-1625.

Do Laredo Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Laredo is divided into eight districts, and all the neighborhoods in the city are organized into these districts. Each district elects a representative, and these representatives, together with the City Mayor, make up the City Council. The City Council is the Laredo's local government, and it performs regulatory functions such as apportioning the city's budget, developing laws, and administering developmental plans.

Although the City Council exercises governmental powers, such powers do not include issuing construction or home improvement permits. Nevertheless, the Council exercises its appropriate powers to oversee and regulate matters of construction across the city. For example, in January 2021, the City Council approved a partnership with a real estate developer to build a 2000-acre business park, with an estimated cost of around $1 billion. Besides the indirect economic benefit the project can potentially bring to the city, there have reportedly been direct benefits so far. One of such direct benefits is the thousands of jobs the project has already created for residents. Also, in April 2021, the City Council opened an investigation into expensive public projects executed without contracts. Such projects have reportedly cost the city an unspecified amount of money, and the investigation aims to stop such occurrences in the future, amongst other things.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Laredo?

Laredo City's Department of Information Services and Telecommunications (IST) handles matters of consumer service in the city. The city's IST department receives consumer complaints through the 311 program. To file a consumer complaint regarding a professional's improper actions, you can contact the IST department by dialing 311 or you can use the online information portal. Although the 311 call center is available every day of the week, note that you can only contact the call center between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. You can also report consumer complaints via the 311 mobile app, which is available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Additionally, if the professional's conduct involves anything illegal, you can file a separate report with the Laredo Police Department by contacting (956) 795-2800.

However, you should note that filing a consumer complaint report does not guarantee you will receive monetary compensation or reimbursement. If you intend to receive reimbursement from the professional, you should begin a separate civil proceeding against this professional at an appropriate court. Such civil proceedings are usually initiated at the small claims division of the Webb County Justice of the Peace Court - Precinct 4, which handles claims of $10,000 or less. Although the small claims division of the court allows self-representation, it is ideal that you hire the services of a qualified attorney for legal advice and representation.

Professions in Laredo