Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Austin, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Austin?

The process of selecting a professional in Austin requires some due diligence on your part. Particularly, you have to ensure that any professional you hire possesses the required license to perform your task. To be eligible to offer services in Austin, professionals that operate in any of the 39 industries regulated by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) need to hold a state-issued license. However, certain professionals such as those who provide construction-related services, liquor services, and food services also require additional municipal registration with the Austin Development Service Department. You can verify the validity of most state-issued licenses by using the TDLR's Active License Data Search portal, while municipal license registration can be verified through the Development Service Department by calling (512) 974-9760.

Besides conducting local license registration, the Development Service Department is also in charge of permitting construction-related activities in the city. Depending on the kind of project, you may need to obtain one or more of these permits which include electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and after-hours concrete pouring permits. It is recommended that you contact the department to enquire about necessary permits for any construction project before commencing.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Austin Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Austin neighborhood groups do not issue permits for construction projects within their various areas. Instead, the over 500 neighborhood groups in Austin advocate for the development of the neighborhoods they represent by either partnering with the City Council or making suggestions on a wide range of projects and operations. Notably, the Austin Downtown Alliance, an association representing Downtown Austin, is currently collaborating with several partners to develop a linked urban greenbelt that connects large and smaller parks, creating a walkable and accessible park system for residents of the neighborhood. Similarly, the Hyde Park neighborhood association proposed a modification of the Austin Land Development Code to expand housing opportunities and eliminate parking requirements. You can use the city's online Community Registry to search for neighborhood associations that are within your vicinity.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Austin?

The Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Travis County Attorney General receives complaints on unfair business practices in Austin City. You can file complaints with this division either by calling (512) 854-1289 or by communicating your concerns via email. However, if the complaint implicates a credit access business, you should file your complaint by completing an Austin Borrowers Complaint Form and submitting it by mail to:

  • Austin Telecommunications & Regulatory Affairs Office
  • Credit Access Business Program
  • P.O. Box 1088
  • Austin, TX 78767

Likewise, complaints that contain allegations of crimes should be directed to the Austin City Police Department. For a complaint to be considered, you would be required to provide certain information such as your contact details, the name of the business you're filing a complaint against, the full address of the business including its zip code, a brief but detailed description of your complaint, and the date of the transaction or occurrence in question.

After receiving your complaints, these agencies would usually verify them and file lawsuits against the business. These actions are usually pursued in the public interest to ensure that the dishonest professional is penalized as opposed to securing compensation for the complainant. Therefore, it is recommended that you also hire a qualified attorney to examine your chances of suing for damages. Such a suit will usually fall within the jurisdiction of the Travis County Justice Court which has authority over claims not more than $20,000 in value.