loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Waco?

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) licenses and regulates over 40 different professions in the City of Waco and across the State of Texas as a whole. If you are a resident of Waco, it is important that you make sure that any professional you intend to hire is duly licensed and regulated by the TDLR. You can do this through the TDLR license Data Search portal maintained for this purpose.

Also, when hiring professionals in Waco, certain projects might require that you obtain permits from the city. For example, if you engage a building, home improvement, or construction-related professional, you may be required to obtain a permit from the City of Waco's Planning and Zoning Department. To find out what permits are required and for any other permit-related inquiries, you may contact the Planning and Zoning Department at (254) 750-5650. You can also make permit applications to this department online.

Do Waco Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in Waco are not authorized to issue home improvement or other building-related permits. Waco neighborhood organizations are voluntary groups formed by residents to promote programs and services that help improve the quality of life in that neighborhood. By working hand in hand with the Waco Neighborhood Engagement Department, these organizations provide a platform through which the city government can interact with the city residents and provide solutions to individual or collective concerns. On September 7th, 2021, the Waco city council approved a couple of resolutions that will help boost the city's construction and economic climate. The approved resolutions include a $700,000 grant to aid the redevelopment of the Oak Lodge Motor Inn into a multi-use development that will include eight loft apartments, two loft condominiums, commercial and retail space. Another resolution approved by the board was the Program Project Agreement that should result in the creation of 250 new full-time jobs by 2022. Meanwhile, earlier in May 2021, the Waco city council had begun considerations for new design standards for homes in the city. The proposed changes will affect all new homes but will particularly target infill developments.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Waco?

Waco residents that are unsatisfied with the quality of service received from a business or have other complaints involving fraud or unlawful and unfair business practices can file complaints through the Office of the Attorney General of Texas or the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. You can report violations by licensed persons or report unlicensed activity to the TDLR. Complaints against licensed professionals can be made by utilizing the online complaint process provided by the TDLR. Likewise, you may also report unlicensed activity to the TDLR through a similar online complaint process established for that purpose.

Alternatively, you can make general complaints against a business or professional and also report fraud, price gouging, and other similar deceptive practices to the Office of the Attorney General of Texas. You can file a consumer complaint with this office by using its online consumer complaint form or by calling its consumer protection hotline at (800) 621-0508. You can also file a consumer complaint via mail by sending a completed complaint form to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

The Office of the Attorney General, upon receiving your complaint, reviews it to decide if there has been an illegal activity and also invites the business complained against for comments. Note that this office cannot compel the business to provide you with personal restitution or file legal actions on your behalf. However, in some instances, a civil action may be filed in the public interest. If you consider the outcome of the complaint process unsatisfactory, you should consider proceeding to a McLennan County Court to file a civil action against the business.