loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Sugarland?

When you decide to embark on a project in the City of Sugarland, you should always make sure that any professional you hire is duly licensed to work in the city. Professionals in Sugarland are regulated and licensed across over 35 different categories by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). If you want to verify the license of your intended professional, access the TDLR's License Search portal and conduct a search for the licensee. Alternatively, you can call TDLR via phone number (800) 803-9202 to verify a license.

Note that if the project you want to embark on is a building or construction-related project, there might be other requirements that you need to fulfill. For one, construction professionals such as general, electrical, and plumbing contractors, are required to register with the Sugarland Department of Building Safety. You can verify if the professional you hire is duly registered by calling the Department at (281) 275-2270. There are also permits that must be obtained from the city's Department of Building Safety if your project will involve demolition, renovations, new constructions, and other construction-related actions. These permits can be obtained by completing the appropriate application form that pertains to your project and submitting the application to the Department by fax at (281) 275-2271 or by email.

Do Sugarland Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Sugarland neighborhood and homeowner associations do not have any authority to issue permits to any residents or businesses within the city. These organizations help residents of each neighborhood lend their voice to initiatives and programs that will have an effect on their livelihoods and the growth of the city. In May 2021, the Sugarland city council approved a resolution for an advanced funding agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation to fulfill the city's counterpart funding responsibility and make it eligible for a federal grant. The federal grant will form 80% of the funding for a High Site Communications Improvement project which is believed will improve the city's wireless connection and improve the city's service level to the residents. In the same month, the city council also approved a design contract to improve the drainage system at Austin Park, a project that was considered a top priority by residents in the 2020 Citizen Satisfaction Survey.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Sugarland?

You can make complaints against businesses in Sugarland on the basis of fraud or unfair business practices to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR)or the Office of the Attorney General of Texas. Any complaint you make to the TDLR should be in relation to either unlicensed activity by professionals or unscrupulous actions by professionals that are licensed by the Department. You can file your complaint with the TDLR by completing the online complaint form that is suitable for your complaint. You should endeavor to include all necessary supporting documents like receipts, adverts, and contracts, to enable the TDLR to effectively review your complaint. If it is decided that your complaint has merit, an investigation will be started and the professional may be subjected to disciplinary measures, such as administrative penalties and restitution, if found liable.

Alternatively, you can file an unfair business complaint through the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas. You can file a complaint with this Division online or you can download a pdf complaint form and send it alongside any supporting documents to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

Note that the consumer protection division cannot act on your behalf in court or provide you with legal advice. The consumer complaint process provided by this division is an informal mediation process that is aimed at helping you and the business reach an amicable resolution. After your complaint is received, it is sent to the business inviting a response, and the mediation process is started after a response is received. However, the Division cannot compel a business to respond or compel it to resolve your complaint or provide restitution. Also, in certain circumstances, if the business you complain of has shown a pattern of illegal practices, a civil action might be instituted in the interest of the public. Finally, if you are unsatisfied with the outcome or conclusion of the complaint process, you can take private action by filing a small claims suit against the business or individual at the Fort Bend County Court.