Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Round Rock, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Round Rock?

Ensuring you verify a professional's license before hiring them is essential to avoiding fraudulent professionals in Round Rock City. Professionals across over 30 professions and business categories in Round Rock are generally licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). You can confirm if a professional is licensed, and if the professional's license is active, by utilizing the TDLR active license search tool. You can also contact the TDLR at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202 to make general professional licensing-related inquiries. In addition to obtaining a state-level license, the local government of Round Rock may require some professionals to register with the city before offering certain services. For example, construction contractors are currently required to register with the city's Building Inspection Division before offering construction or home improvement services in the city. Inquiries regarding a contractor's local registration can be directed to the Building Inspection Division at (512) 218-5550 or by email, while inquiries regarding the registration of professionals generally can be directed to the City Clerk's Office at (512) 218-5404.

Besides ensuring a professional's license, it is also essential to ensure the professional complies with the local requirements necessary for your project. For instance, construction contractors must obtain the required permit before undertaking a home improvement or construction project in Round Rock. Queries related to these permits can be directed to the Building Inspection Division of the Round Rock Department of Planning and Development Services at (512) 218-5550. This Division also handles permit issuance and processing.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Round Rock Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The local governance of Round Rock City is handled by the City Council, which comprises the City Mayor and six council members. Being the city's local government, the City Council works with City Departments to execute developmental policies and ensure the improvement of residents' general standard of living. Residents can contact the City Council by email or talk to a councilperson at (512) 218-5410. Residents can also stay updated with council meetings, resolutions, and actions by viewing the City Council's meeting calendar.

The City Council does not issue home improvement or construction permits. However, it may execute policies or approve actions that relate to construction within city limits. For example, the City Council approved a 65-acre mixed-use development project to be constructed across 20 years. The project's plan features residential apartments, offices, restaurants, and building space for other uses. Besides addressing residents' property needs, the development is also expected to create local jobs and improve economic activity. Similarly, the City Council recently approved an agreement with a construction agency to construct and maintain a dam, which is expected to reduce the flow of floodwaters into certain parts of the city.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Round Rock?

The Consumer Protection Division (CPD) of the Texas Attorney General (AG) Office is the agency in charge of handling unfair business complaints in Round Rock City, and residents can submit such complaints to this division online or by mail. To submit a complaint by mail, residents need to obtain an English or a Spanish Complaint Form and mail the completed form to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

When filing an unfair business complaint, it is helpful to attach any document relevant to your complaint, such as the contract between you and the professional or business in question, payment receipts, and written correspondences. The information in these documents generally helps with investigating and reviewing your complaint. However, it is also recommended that you contact the professional or business you intend to complain against and first try to reach an amicable resolution. For general information on filing unfair business complaints or consumer protection, you may contact the CPD at 1-800-621-050.

It is important to note that any actions taken by the CPD to address consumer complaints are done in the public's interest and not for helping complainants get redress. However, if your complaint involves a maximum of $10,000, you may get personal redress by suing the business or professional at the Williamson County Justice of the Peace Court, Precinct 1. It is recommended that you first consult an attorney for the best legal option before heading to court.