Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Richardson, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Richardson?

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) regulates and licenses professionals in Richardson through 40 different programs and boards. When you want to embark on a project, you should make sure that the professionals you hire for your project are duly licensed by the TDLR. This provides some assurance that your project will be done to a good standard and also protects you in the eventuality that it isn't. You can check if the professional you intend to hire is properly licensed by visiting the TDLR's License Data Search Portal. Note that certain professionals may also have additional requirements before they are eligible to work within the city. For example, professionals that are involved in construction-related work, such as contractors, must register with the Richardson Building Inspections Department and pay the requisite fee of $100. Registration is compulsory and must be carried out yearly. You can verify the registration status of your intended professional by calling the Department at (972) 744-4180 or you can check the registered contractor list compiled by the Department.

After you have confirmed that the professional you intend to hire is duly licensed, if your project is a home improvement or construction-related one, you will also need to obtain a permit from the Richardson Building Inspections Department. You can call the Department at (972) 744-4180 for inquiries or apply for a permit online.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Richardson Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Richardson neighborhood associations are voluntary groups made up of residents of neighborhoods within the city who come together to help drive initiatives and programs that help the city grow and contribute to the enhancement of living conditions within the city. However, these associations do not have the authority to issue construction or home improvement permits. They typically cooperate with the Richardson City Council and Community Services Department to promote these different programs and initiatives while also opposing certain other proposals. For example, on the 15th of January 2021, a zoning change for a proposed development in the area of North Plano Road and Lookout Drive was rejected by the City Council after opposition by residents. The City Council voted 5-2 against the change after receiving opposition letters from over 190 residents and a petition that had over 1200 signatures. In 2020, the City Council approved the demolition of Huntington Town Homes and the construction of a new 186 unit apartment complex to help improve the quality of housing available to residents and intending residents of the West Spring Valley area.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Richardson?

If you have been the victim of fraud, or other unfair business practices by a business or professional in Richardson, you can file a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General of Texas or the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). You can file complaints to the TDLR online to report both licensed and unlicensed professionals in the city.

Complaints may also be made to the Office of the Attorney General using an online consumer complaint form. When completing the form, you should make sure to include copies of all necessary supporting documents. If you are unable to file your complaint online, you can download a printable complaint form, which should be completed and sent alongside copies of supporting documents to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

After receiving your complaint, it is reviewed and if there is sufficient evidence, an investigation may be opened against the business or professional. Note that the Office of the Attorney General cannot represent you in any legal proceeding or give you legal advice. In some instances, the Office might take action and institute proceedings in the public interest. If you do not get a solution to your complaint or are dissatisfied with the resolution reached at the end of the process, you can still proceed to a Dallas County Court or a Collin County Court to file a civil suit against such business or professional.