Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Plano, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Plano?

Several agencies issue licenses to professionals that wish to offer their services to residents of Plano. These include the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) which licenses and regulates more than 35 professional programs, including electricians and air conditioning and refrigeration technicians, and the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners (TSBPE), which oversees the licensing of plumbing professionals. On the other hand, professionals like general contractors and home improvement subcontractors are typically licensed and registered locally by the Plato Building Inspections Department. Note that state-licensed professionals like electrical contractors, plumbing contractors, and mechanical and irrigation contractors, are also required to undergo local registration with this department before practicing in Plato. You can verify state-issued Plano professional licenses via the TDLR's Active License Data Search and the TSBPE's Find a License online portals. Similarly, you can use the trackit webpage provided by Plato to search for and verify locally licensed and registered professionals. Alternatively, you can contact the Plato Building Inspections Department at (972) 941-7140 to confirm that your intended professional has met all relevant local licensing and registration requirements.

Finally, you may also be required to obtain a permit from the Plato Building Inspections Department. While the specific type of permit that you will be required to obtain primarily depends on the nature and scope of your intended project, you will likely need a permit if your project involves the construction or alteration of buildings and structures. It is advisable to contact the city's Building Inspections Department at 972-941-7140 or (972) 941-5969 to find out the types of permits that may be needed for your intended project and the procedure for pulling these permits.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Plano Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Plano is home to several homeowners associations, neighborhood associations, crime watch groups, and multi-family communities made up of residents and other stakeholders in the city that wish to improve the general livability of their respective neighborhoods. While none of these groups and associations is authorized to issue permits, they typically collaborate with the city's Neighborhood Services Department to connect their residents with available city and community resources. This is usually done through the development of strategies and tools aimed at strengthening the city's various neighborhoods and also addressing issues that are of concern to individual neighborhoods. You can contact the Plano Neighborhood Services Department at (972) 208-8150 to get information on the registered neighborhood groups and associations, as well as available community resources in your area of residence. In November 2020, the Plano City council voted against the planned renovation and expansion of the Legends at Oaks apartments. It is reported that at least one homeowners association had written in support of the planned project while about seven residents of the area had publicly opposed it. In April 2021, city officials initiated plans to increase the amount of native acreage in the city and also increase local sustainability by designating grow zones that allow for the regrowth of natural grass and woodlands. A similar program had allowed the Glenhollow North Estates Homeowners Association to carry out its implementation of more efficient irrigation and sprinkler systems within its neighborhood in 2017.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Plano?

The Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General's Office is responsible for handling unfair business complaints in Plano, and these complaints can be filed online or by mailing a completed consumer complaint form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

You can also contact this office at (800) 621-0508 to file complaints or make inquiries about the complaint process. Note that the Consumer Protection Division is prohibited from giving you legal advice or filing lawsuits on your behalf. Therefore, if you intend to seek restitution against a business, you should consider retaining the services of a lawyer and pursuing legal action. If the amount in dispute does not exceed $20,000, then it is advisable to file a small claims case at the Collin County Justice of the Peace Precinct 3 Court, or any other appropriate court of law. You can get referrals to qualified lawyers near you by contacting either the Plano Bar Association Referral Service or the Texas Lawyer Referral Service at (972) 424-6113 or (888) 635-6050 respectively.