Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Pasadena, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Pasadena?

Selecting a professional or business to work within Pasadena requires a certain level of due diligence on your part. You have to ensure that any professional you're hiring holds the requisite license to perform such service in the city. Generally, professionals in Pasadena are regulated at the state level by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), which licenses professionals in 39 industries, including air conditioning, architectural barriers, boiler safety, and electricians. Interested persons can verify these TDLR-issued licenses through its Active License Data Search portal.

In addition to state-issued licenses, certain professionals operating in the construction industry also require local-level registration with the city's Permits and Inspection Department. Interested persons can verify contractor registrations through the department by calling (713) 475-5575, faxing (713) 475-7841, or email. Mail-in verification requests can also be made to

  • Pasadena
    Permits/Inspection Department
    P.O. Box 672
    Pasadena, TX 77502

After selecting a licensed professional, you should also ensure that all required permits are obtained before commencing any construction project in the city. The Permits and Inspection Department issues these permits on a project-by-project basis, and you can contact the department to determine and procure permits relevant to your project.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Pasadena Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are eight council districts in Pasadena, and each has an elected representative on the City Council. The City Council does not issue construction permits. However, as the city's primary legislative body, it has various functions, including enacting city laws, approving tax rates, appointing key officials in the city, and determining the city's priorities. The council, in line with its powers, also approves citywide public projects. For example, in 2020, the Pasadena City Council approved several drainage improvement projects, including the Burke project to replace inlets from Spencer to Cherrybrook. Similarly, the council approved drainage and paving improvements to Thomas Avenue. The first phase of this project has been completed, while the second phase is currently at the design stage. The City Council also recently approved the construction of a 3-mile trail along Vince Bayou to create safe pedestrian and bicyclist connections between parks, homes, schools, and businesses in the area. You can use the city's Map of City Districts to locate which of the Pasadena districts your home and neighborhood is located at.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Pasadena?

The Office of the Harris County Attorney receives and handles unfair business complaints against professionals and businesses in Pasadena. Concerned persons can file complaints against deceptive professionals by texting the office's consumer helpline at (346) 354-7459 or by contacting it via email. If your complaint is about pricing gouging during an emergency, then you should complete an online Price Gouging Complaint Form. Similarly, complaints that involve criminal allegations should be made to the Pasadena Police Department by calling the relevant staff that handles complaints on the type of crime committed.

It's worth noting that the primary goal of these agencies is to take action on behalf of the public and ensure that unethical businesses are penalized. As a result, they may not be able to guarantee reimbursement for damages caused by the professional's actions. To secure compensation from a business or professional, you should consider filing a civil case for damages under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA). Typically, a lawsuit like this would be filed in the Harris County Justice of the Peace Court, which handles small claims cases for matters that involve less than $20,000.