Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Midland, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Midland?

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) handles the licensure of over 29 categories of professionals in Midland. These include, but are not limited to, plumbers, cosmetologists, dietitians, code enforcement officers, electricians, and service contract providers. Before hiring a professional in Midland, you should find out if the individual is licensed by TDLR. You can do this by asking your professional for proof of licensure and verifing the information using the TDLR's license data search tool. In addition to state-issued licenses, some professionals in Midland are required to register with local agencies. For example, contractors in Midland are required to register with the city's Building Department. Residents of Midland can verify a contractor's local registration by calling (989) 837 - 3383.

Other than verifying a professional's license status, you must also ensure that the right permits for the job are duly obtained. For example, a building permit is required for performing home improvement or construction work in Midland. The Midland Building Department handles the issuance of building permits for home improvement or construction work. All queries concerning building permits can be directed to this department by calling (989) 837 - 3383.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Midland Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations and homeowners associations in Midland do not issue permits for home improvement or construction work. However, if you live in a neighborhood with a neighborhood association or homeowner's association you should always find out the special regulations they may have concerning your proposed home improvement or construction work. For example, the Polo Park Homeowners Association prohibits members from starting construction work before submitting the proposed building plan and specification to the association's Architectural Control Committee. The committee must approve the building plan before work can be done on any land in the neighborhood. Similarly, the Briarwood Homeowners Association requires all building projects in the neighborhood to conform with the building and sanitary codes of Midland, Midland County, and Texas. The association typically rejects any proposal that does not conform to any of the city, county, or state building codes.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Midland?

Residents of Midland can file complaints involving unfair or unlawful business practices with the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Office of the Attorney General online, or by downloading, printing, completing, and mailing a consumer complaint form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

The Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Office of the Attorney General typically resolves complaints through a simple process that begins with reviewing the complaint to determine if the business had conducted any illegal activity. When this happens, the division can resolve the matter via a number of methods, including arbitration and mediation. Note that the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Office of the Attorney General can only file a lawsuit against a business as part of its duties to safeguard the general public. As such, the division can neither represent a complainant in a legal proceeding nor provide legal counsel or interpretations of the law to individuals. You should hire a qualified attorney if you seek any of the aforementioned services. While the division can mediate between a consumer and the business, it does not guarantee that you will recover all the money you lost to the business. Residents of Midland that want to recover their money from a business can file a civil action in an appropriate court. Disputes involving a total of not more than $20,000 can be filled as small claims. You can file a small claim in Midland in person at:

  • Midland County Courthouse
  • 500 North, Loraine Street
  • Midland, TX 79701

Lastly, you can also report a business involved in criminal activities like consumer fraud to Midland Police Department by calling (432) 685 -7108.