loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Mesquite?

Hiring a licensed professional is a sure way to ensure that your project is executed to high standards. Professionals in Mesquite and across Texas are regulated by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), which is responsible for regulating over 40 different professions and programs. To ensure that the professional you hire is duly licensed by the TDLR, you can verify that professional's license through the TDLR license Data Search portal maintained for that purpose.

Asides from ensuring that the professional you hire is licensed, it is also important that you ensure that all necessary city requirements are met. For example, if you intend to carry out construction or building-related projects, the City of Mesquite requires that you obtain a permit from the Mesquite Building Inspections Division. You can call the division at (972) 216-6212 for more information on permits or you can obtain a permit using the Citizen Self Service portal.

Do Mesquite Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Mesquite neighborhood groups and organizations do not have the authority to issue construction or building-related permits. Rather, these organizations work hand in hand with the city officials to project ideas and programs that would enhance their neighborhoods and improve the living conditions within the city as a whole. These initiatives are often linked to infrastructural development, zoning, and other similar issues. On the 20th of September 2021, the city council entered into an agreement to provide incentives for an office industrial campus that will be approximately 555,790 square feet. The construction, which is to commence in 2022, contains deadlines that the developers must meet if they are to remain eligible for the incentives provided by the city. Earlier, on the 17th of May, 2021, the city council had rejected calls to limit future construction of accessory buildings by homeowners. This proposal, which was put forward by the city's Director of Planning and Services, was in response to the nearly ubiquitous wooden storage buildings attached to the main building or built on parking lots of most houses. The Director, while making a submission on the matter, noted that these accessories were normally not as well maintained as the original buildings.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Mesquite?

You can file an unfair business complaint in Mesquite if you have been the victim of fraud, unfair business practices, or other deceptive practices by businesses or professionals in Mesquite through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation or the Office of the Attorney General of Texas.

Complaints to the TDLR should be in relation to professionals licensed under the board or in relation to professionals who should be licensed under the board but carry out unlicensed activities. To file complaints against licensed professionals, you can complete an online complaint form, while complaints against unlicensed activity can also be made using a separate online complaint form, also provided by the TDLR.

On the other hand, general complaints against businesses and professionals can be made to the Office of the Attorney General. You can file complaints using this office's online consumer complaint form or by calling its consumer protection hotline at (800) 621-0508. Alternatively, if you are unable to file through any of the methods mentioned above, you can download and complete a complaint form, and send this form to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

After a complaint is received by the Attorney General's Office, it is reviewed to decide if any illegal activity has been committed, and the business complained of is also invited to make comments. It is important to note that this office cannot provide you legal advice, institute legal actions on your behalf, or compel the business or professional to restitute. In certain instances, a general legal action might be filed in the interest of the public if it is noticed that the business complained of has shown a pattern of illegal practices. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of any of the complaint processes, you may proceed to a Dallas County Small Claims Court to file a legal action against the business or professional.