Get Quotes from Top Contractors in McKinney, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in McKinney?

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) issues professional licenses to 40 professional career groups in Mckinney City. Other state and city boards also issue licenses to these professionals, and they include the Texas Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists, Texas Real Estate Commission, and the Mckinney City Building Inspections Department. Before hiring any professional in Mckinney, you should ensure that they have the appropriate license from the relevant board, commission, or department. By ensuring that you only engage the services of qualified professionals, you can protect yourselves from potential liabilities such as the loss of your funds through a professional's no-show or poor quality workmanship. You can verify the license of a Mckinney professional via the TDLR License Data search portal, or you can access available records from the website of the board that licenses the professional.

Depending on the scale of work you may have hired a professional for, it may be required that you obtain permits before commencing these projects. The Mckinney City Building Inspections Department issues permits for work such as building re-roofs, new building construction, mechanical installations, and electrical installations, and failing to obtain the necessary permits for your project can lead to fines. For information on the city's permit process and also to direct any questions that you may have on permits, you can contact the Building Inspection Department via phone number (972) 547-7400.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do McKinney Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Mckinney has several neighborhoods, and these neighborhoods all have respective neighborhood communities, organizations, associations, and councils that exist to enhance the lives of residents and create a platform for their representation. These associations do not issue construction-related permits. However, they cooperate with the City Council and other city or state agencies to achieve their objectives.

In September 2021, it was announced that the construction of a new 25,000-square-foot shooting range would start in McKinney. This construction, which was approved by the city council in July 2020, is meant to serve as a family-friendly environment to introduce new enthusiasts to the sport of shooting. Similarly, in October 2021, the Mckinney City Council requested a zoning change to add about 54 acres of the city's extraterritorial jurisdiction into the city to allow for the construction of a concrete recycling plant.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in McKinney?

The Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas receives and reviews complaints against individuals and businesses that are allegedly involved in unfair or unlawful business practices. Complaints can either be filed online using a Consumer Complaint Form or by completing a printable complaint form and mailing it to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • PO Box 12548
  • Austin, TX, 78711-2548

For inquiries or questions you may have on the consumer complaint process, you can call the Consumer Protection Hotline at (800) 621-0508. You should note that the Consumer Protection Division cannot serve as your lawyer nor file a lawsuit on your behalf. If a resolution could not be reached between you and the subject of your complaint and you seek to proceed with a legal option, you can file a small claims lawsuit at the Collin County Courthouse located at:

  • 8585 John Wesley
  • Suite 130
  • Frisco, TX, 75034
  • Phone: (972) 731-7300
  • Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Small claims suits offer an informal, quicker, and more affordable method to contest matters in a civil court. However, you cannot claim compensation of more than $20,000 via these types of suits. It is advisable to seek the advice of an experienced attorney for guidance on how to proceed with your small claims lawsuit.