Get Quotes from Top Contractors in McAllen, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in McAllen?

Before engaging a professional in McAllen City, it is crucial to confirm the licensing status of this professional in order to protect yourself from problems like home improvement scams and shoddy service delivery. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) licenses and regulates professionals in McAllen City by issuing licenses across over 30 categories to eligible individuals. Residents who desire to verify a professional's license can check the TDLR's licensee data search portal or contact the TDLR at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202. Queries related to professional licensing or assistance with utilizing the licensee data search portal can also be directed to the TDLR via these phone numbers.

Apart from confirming a professional's license, you also need to confirm other occupational city requirements that your desired professional must observe when handling your job. Doing this helps to ensure that you do not violate any city ordinances. For example, before handling a home improvement or building job in McAllen City, a general contractor must get the necessary building permit. Building permits are issued by the city's Building Permits and Inspection Division, and you can also contact this Division at (956) 681-1300 for assistance with observing permit requirements.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do McAllen Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are currently six city districts within McAllen City, and each district comprises specific neighborhoods. You can utilize the city's election district map to find out how the city districts are divided and check each district's boundary. During city elections, residents of each district elect a district representative, and these elected representatives, alongside the City Mayor, constitute the City Commission. The City Commission exercises the city's powers to ensure the general safety, coordination, and well-being of city residents. To this end, it creates city laws, deliberates on city policies, and adopts city budgets. However, the City Commission does not issue home improvement or construction permits.

Despite not issuing such permits, the City Commission may perform roles or adopt construction-related policies. For example, in May 2021, the City Commission approved a zoning request to allow the construction of a multi-unit multifamily residential apartment in an area designated for general business. The construction project is aimed at catering to the housing needs of senior residents in the city. Likewise, in August 2021, City Officials, including members of the City Commission, commemorated the construction of new facilities that will serve as offices for several city departments. The new facilities are expected to have bigger office spaces to improve the administrative convenience of city workers.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in McAllen?

Residents of McAllen can contact the city's 311 Department to request assistance with accessing and utilizing government services. Accordingly, residents can contact this Department and make inquiries regarding the processes for filing an unfair business complaint in McAllen by dialing 311 for callers within McAllen or (956) 681-3111 for callers outside McAllen. You can also utilize the 311 mobile app that is freely available for Android and iOS devices to make these requests.

Alternatively, you can file complaints on unfair or illegal business practices with the Consumer Protection Division (CPD) of the Texas Attorney General (AG) Office. Such complaints can be filed with the CPD online or by mail. If you choose to file your complaint by mail, you need to obtain a consumer complaint form, which is available online in both English and Spanish, and mail the completed form to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

Upon receiving your complaint, the CPD will review it and may possibly sue the professional or business if there is sufficient cause for this. However, note that this lawsuit will be carried out in the public's interest, and not with the intention of securing compensation for you. Nevertheless, you can secure personal compensation by suing the professional or business in question at the Small Claims Court of the Hidalgo County Justice of the Peace Court. Note that this court only hears claims for a maximum of $20,000. Note that it is always in your interest to consult a qualified attorney for legal advice before taking any legal actions.