Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Lewisville, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Lewisville?

Hiring a licensed professional for your projects reduces your chances of falling victim to fraudulent and unqualified professionals in Lewisville. Several professionals offering services across more than 30 professional and occupational categories are licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). However, construction contractors who want to operate within Lewisville must also register with the city's Inspection and Permitting Department (IPD). Residents who want to confirm a TDLR-issued professional license can check the TDLR online license search portal. Queries regarding professional license verifications can also be directed to the TDLR at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202. To confirm if a contractor is registered with the city's IPD, residents can contact the Department's Central Permitting Office at (972) 219-3470.

Verifying a professional's license is not enough to ensure your project's success. You should also ensure that local requirements applicable to your project have been satisfied. For example, in Lewisville, a building permit is necessary for all construction and home improvement projects within city limits. Building permits are issued by the Building Services Department of the city's Inspection and Permitting Department. Queries regarding building permits can be directed to this department at (972) 219-3470 or (972) 219-3772.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Lewisville Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The local affairs of Lewisville City, including neighborhood concerns, are supervised and governed by the Lewisville City Council. The City Council comprises six members, which are the City Mayor and five Council Members that are elected at large by city residents during municipal elections. Residents interested in City Council activities can check the City Council Meetings web page for information on meeting agendas, minutes, venue, and other related matters.

The Lewisville City Council does not issue permits for construction and home improvement projects in the city. Nonetheless, it exercises supervisory and governance powers for the benefit of city residents over citywide construction-related concerns, such as land use, rezoning, and building constructions. For example, the City Council recently approved agreements related to the city's intention to annex Castle Hills City. Per the agreements, Lewisville will take charge of Castle Hills parks and specific construction projects, such as the Crown Center, upon the final annexation of Castle Hills City. Also, the City Council slated a bond package vote for November 2021. At this vote, city residents are to vote for or against a proposed $95 million bond package to construct a public safety complex.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Lewisville?

Reports of unfair business practices from Lewisville City are generally handled by the Texas Attorney General (AG) Office. Residents who have experienced an unfair business practice by a business or professional can report such practices to the AG Office through the Office's Consumer Protection Division (CPD). The CPD receives these complaints online and by mail. Residents who prefer to file the complaint by mail must fill a consumer complaint form, which is downloadable in English or Spanish, and send the form to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

It is recommended that you include supporting documentation to your complaint when submitting it, as this gives your report more credibility and helps with any investigations. Examples of such supporting documentation include payment and contract documents. However, ensure to exclude any personal information you are not comfortable sharing.

After receiving an unfair business complaint, the CPD will review it and may conduct an investigation into the matter. However, steps taken to address your complaint are generally done in the public's interest, and you may not be personally compensated. To secure your personal compensation to the tune of up to $20,000, you can commence a small claims case against the business or professional. Small claims cases are generally commenced at the Denton County Justice of the Peace Precinct 3. However, before opting for court action, you should consider engaging a qualified attorney for legal advice.