Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Grand Prairie, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Grand Prairie?

Generally, professionals in Grand Prairie cannot offer their services to city residents until they procure an appropriate professional license and adhere to relevant city requirements. These licenses are typically issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), which is responsible for overseeing the activities of more than 30 professional and occupational categories in Grand Prairie. Residents of Grand Prairie can verify a professional's license by utilizing the TDLR active license search portal. If this professional's occupational category is not included in the TDLR active license search portal, residents can contact the TDLR at (512) 463-6599 for general assistance on verifying a professional's license.

In addition to licensing requirements, Grand Prairie has additional requirements that some professionals must adhere to before offering specific services. For example, construction-related professionals intending to undertake any commercial construction must first ensure the procurement of the relevant commercial construction permit. The city's Department of Planning and Development (DPD) generally issues these types of permits and also addresses queries regarding construction permits at (972) 237-8230.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Grand Prairie Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Grand Prairie has six districts, and the city's neighborhoods are grouped under these districts. The elected representatives of each district, along with two elected representatives at large and the City Mayor, constitute the Grand Prairie City Council. The City Council governs and oversees the city's local affairs and ensures the city's overall advancement. Residents can utilize the city's online council district map to find out their district and their district's representative.

Note that the Grand Prairie City Council does not issue construction permits. However, it performs its administrative duties for the public benefit and safety of residents. For example, in March 2021, the City Council approved a 120-day moratorium on specific residential developments. The City Council approved this moratorium to curtail instances of residents extending their buildings beyond capacity. Also, since April 2021, the City Council has been deliberating on the projects to apportion the $75 million economic development bond voted by city residents. The City Mayor has noted that preference will be given to projects that can increase the city's revenue, such as rentals.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Grand Prairie?

Residents of Grand Prairie can contact the city online or at (972) 237-8000 to make inquiries regarding city services, including how to file a consumer or unfair business complaint. Alternatively, you can file a consumer or unfair business complaint directly with the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General Office. Such complaints can be submitted to the Division either online or by mail. For mail submissions, you must first obtain a complaint form in English or Spanish, complete the form, and mail it to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

Finally, you can also file an online consumer complaint against a business or professional with the TDLR. For any criminal actions of a professional or business, you can also contact the Grand Prairie Police Department at (972) 237-8790 to file a separate report.

After filing a consumer complaint with any of the public agencies mentioned above, there is no certainty that you will be compensated for the unjust actions of the professional or business you complained against. Any of the above-mentioned public agencies you file your consumer complaint with will generally investigate your complaint in the public's interest and not for your compensation. To secure your compensation, you should consider hiring a qualified attorney for legal advice and filing a civil claim against the business or professional at an appropriate court. Such claims are usually filed at the Small Claims Division of the Dallas County Justice of the Peace Court, Precinct 4-1, which settles claims of $10,000 or less.