Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Garland, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Garland?

Hiring professionals that have valid occupational licenses goes a long way in assuring you of their skillset and level of expertise. Over 35 categories of professionals in Garland, including boiler safety professionals, electricians, and air conditioning and refrigeration contractors are licensed by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Other licensing authorities that regulate the activities of professionals in Garland include the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners (TSBPE), which licenses plumbing professionals, and the Garland Building Inspection Department, which oversees the mandatory city-level registration of home improvement and construction-related professionals. You can verify the license or registration of your intended professional online via the TDLR's Active License Data Search portal, the TSBPE's Find a License portal, or by contacting the Garland Building Inspection Department at (972) 205-2300 or via email.

After verifying that your professional has been duly licensed, it is also important to make sure that you obtain any permits that may be required for your intended project. These permits are issued by the city's Building Inspection Department and they are typically required for a wide range of projects, most of which involve the construction or alteration of buildings and structures. You can utilize the resources available on the Garland Development and Permitting Center webpage to get information on the city's permitting process. You can also direct queries on this subject to the Building Inspection Department via email or by calling (972) 205-2300.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Garland Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Garland is home to diverse neighborhoods and the city engages residents and community stakeholders in these neighborhoods through its Office of Neighborhood Vitality. Many of these neighborhoods also have neighborhood organizations consisting of interested parties that come together to set goals and create opportunities aimed at making their respective communities and areas of residence safe, attractive, and economically stable. However, while these neighborhood organizations may sometimes be a useful resource for getting permit-related information, they are not authorized to issue these permits to residents of the city. The Office of Neighborhood Vitality maintains an online directory that you can access to get contact information on the active neighborhood organizations in the city. You can also direct neighborhood-related queries to this office at (972) 205-2445. In May 2019, residents of the city voted in support of Proposition F, which allowed for the allocation of $7 million to the city's Neighborhood Vitality Grant Program that provides funds for community building projects. In August 2021, it was reported that the EPA would be cleaning up contaminated soil at the Park Crest Elementary School area, with officials attributing this action to Clean Up Garland, a local neighborhood organization that had initially begun soil testing in the area the previous year.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Garland?

Matters concerning unfair and deceptive practices by businesses in Garland are handled by the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General's Office, and you can file complaints with this division by completing a complaint form online. Alternatively, you can file complaints by calling (800) 621-0508 or by downloading a pdf copy of the division's consumer complaint form and mailing the properly completed form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

Note that although this division may prosecute the offending business, it is not allowed to give you legal opinions or advice or serve as an attorney on your behalf. Also, there is no guarantee that the actions taken by this office will lead to personal remedies for you. As such, if you intend to seek redress from the business in question, you should consider consulting with a qualified attorney to determine the best course of legal action. This action usually involves filing a small claims lawsuit with a Dallas County Justice of the Peace Court, provided that the amount in controversy does not exceed $20,000. You can find qualified attorneys near you by utilizing the referral services provided by the Dallas Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas.