loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Denton?

Professionals who wish to offer their services to residents of Denton must ensure they obtain professional licenses from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), which issues licenses to Denton professionals across 39 industries. To ensure that you do not end up with shoddy and unsatisfactory projects, you must confirm your intended professionals in Denton have acquired the relevant state-issued licenses before hiring them. You can verify Denton professionals' licensing status via the TDLR's Active License Data Search.

Once you have verified that your intended professionals have been duly licensed, you should also obtain all required permits for your projects. For example, you must obtain permits from the City of Denton Department of Development Services through the Permits & Licenses Office for building-related projects like construction, alteration, and modification of new or existing structures. You can contact the city's Permits and Licenses Office at (940) 349-8360 to get information on the necessary steps to take while applying for permits in Denton,

Do Denton Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Denton Department of Neighborhood Planning does not have the power to issue building permits. However, the Department gives the community members a platform to voice their opinions regarding any developmental projects happening within their neighborhoods. The Department also assists the neighborhoods by working with the various organizations and groups within the city to establish common goals and encourage the neighborhoods to implement plans to improve their livability. For instance, in March 2020, the Denton City Council approved funding to provide temporary housing to homeless individuals and families during the COVID-19 pandemic. The City Council also worked with local organizations to feed and deliver supplies essential to the people staying in this temporary housing.

The Department of Neighborhood Planning also collaborates with the city government and private organizations to improve resources allocation to the neighborhoods to assist their planning needs. For instance, the Department of Neighborhood Planning has a Neighborhood Project Matching Grant of up to $10,000 that it annually awards to eligible neighborhood associations, homeowner associations, tenant associations, and neighborhood groups to facilitate community improvement projects. You can contact the city's Department of Neighborhood Planning at (940) 349-8328 to get information on how they can help your neighborhood regarding developmental projects and other relevant information.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Denton?

Residents of Denton can file consumer complaints against businesses or professionals for unfair practices and fraudulent acts with the Office of the Texas Attorney General through its Consumer Protection Office. You can file a complaint by completing an online complaint form, or you can send a completed Consumer Complaint Form (also available in Spanish) via mail to the address provided at the bottom of this form. Alternatively, you can call the Consumer Protection hotline at 1-(800) 621-0508 to make a complaint.

The Office of the Texas Attorney General will review and investigate your complaint, and where probable cause is established, the office can file a civil case on your behalf. However, it is essential to note that this office cannot guarantee a refund of the money owed to you by the subject of your complaint. It is advisable for you to file a private legal action to claim your money, and you can do this by retaining the services of a lawyer and filing a civil action at an appropriate court. You can use the find a lawyer directory provided by the Denton County Bar Association to access the contact information of active lawyers in the City of Denton.