loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Corpus Christi?

Verifying a professional's license can help you avoid a variety of financial and legal issues such as home improvement scams, and potential court cases. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) issues over 29 types of licenses to eligible professionals in the City of Corpus Christi, and as a resident of the city, it is your responsibility to hire a professional that is licensed. To make sure of this, you should always ask for proof of state-issued licensing from your professional and verify the information through the TDLR's license data search tool. Note that some professions are also regulated at the city level, and it is also important to always find out the regulation that applies to the type of professional service that you need in Corpus Christi. For example, contractors are required to register with the Corpus Christi's Development Services Department. You can verify if a contractor has met this registration requirement by calling (361) 826-3240.

Having made sure that your intended professionals are licensed and registered, the next step is to determine the type of permits that they must obtain to do your work. For example, home improvement and construction work in Corpus Christi require a building permit. Failure to obtain the necessary permitting for construction work in the city is punishable by a fine of anywhere between $200 and $2,000. To avoid this, you must always ensure that the professional you are hiring obtains the necessary building permits from the City of Corpus Christi's Development Services Department before the commencement of the project. You can direct all queries concerning the application process and requirements for obtaining a building permit in Corpus Christi to the Development Services Department by calling (361) 826-3240.

Do Corpus Christi Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations and homeowners associations in Corpus Christi do not issue permits for home improvement and construction work. However, residents of Corpus Christi may need the approval of these associations before undertaking a construction project in the neighborhood. For example, King's Crossing Homeowners Association requires building projects on any lot in the community to be approved by the association's Architectural Review Committee before the commencement of work. Likewise, the Tropic Isle Homeowners Association requires homeowners in the community to submit their project plan and proof of a permit to the association's development committee for verification before starting a construction project in the neighborhood. You can find out more about registered neighborhood associations close to you by calling the Corpus Christi's Department of Neighborhood Services at (361) 826-2489.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Corpus Christi?

Complaints involving unfair and deceptive business practices in Corpus Christi can be filed with the Nueces County Dispute Resolution Services by downloading, printing, completing, and submitting a request for mediation form to:

  • Dispute Resolution Services
  • Nueces County Courthouse
  • Suite 401
  • 901 Leopard Street
  • Corpus Christi, TX 784401

The Nueces County Dispute Resolution Services mediates between a consumer and a business in a way that allows the offender to make some form of restitution for the crime they committed. Residents of Corpus Christi can also file a business complaint with the Texas Office of the Attorney General. You can file a complaint with the office online or by downloading, printing, completing, and submitting a consumer complaint form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711 - 2548

Upon receiving a consumer complaint, the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Office of the Attorney General reviews the complaint to determine the best way to resolve the matter. While the division may file a lawsuit against the business as part of its duty to safeguard the public interest, complainants must understand that these lawsuits cannot be filed on their behalf, nor can the division represent them in any legal proceedings. Likewise, residents of Corpus Christi must understand that reporting the matter to the state's Office of the Attorney General does not guarantee that they will recover any funds that were lost to the business. Residents of Corpus Christi who desire to recover any money that was lost to a business can file a civil matter in an appropriate court. Matters involving a total of $10, 000 or less can be filed as small claims in the Nueces County Justice Court.

Finally, residents of Corpus Christi can report consumer complaints involving criminal offenses to the Corpus Christi Police Department by calling (361) 826-2489.

Professions in Corpus Christi