Get Quotes from Top Contractors in College Station, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in College Station?

Planning a project in College Station requires some due diligence on your part. This includes ensuring that you engage the services of licensed professionals. Professionals across more than 30 occupational and business categories in College Station are licensed by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Accordingly, the TDLR maintains an online active license search portal, which residents can use to confirm the licensing status of professionals under these categories. Residents can also contact the TDLR at (512) 463-6599 for general license verification inquiries. However, besides obtaining a state-issued license, College Station specifically requires that contractors register with the city's Department of Planning & Development Services (DPDS) before working within the city. Accordingly, residents can confirm the registration status of contractors by contacting the city's DPDS at (979) 764-3570 or by email.

After verifying the relevant professional's licensing or registration status, you should also check for other citywide specifications necessary for your project. An example of this is the requirement of permits for building-related projects. In College Station, a contractor cannot accept or oversee a commercial or residential construction without obtaining a commercial or residential building permit respectively. The city's DPDS also issues the building permits, and interested persons can contact this Department at (979) 764-3570 or by email for permit-related inquiries.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do College Station Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

College Station is managed by a City Council, which establishes city laws, supervises city departments, and ensures the city's economic and social progress. The City Council consists of the City Mayor and six Council Members, and they are all elected by city residents during local elections. Interested residents can visit the City Council meeting webpage for information on City Council meeting agendas and decisions and also learn about recent government actions. However, even though the City Council manages the city, it does not issue construction or home improvement permits. Nevertheless, it may decide on some issues or approve specific actions that involve construction within the city. For example, in May 2021, the City Council approved the sale of city land to Costco for the construction of a retail facility in the city. This facility is expected to be fully ready by 2023, and it is estimated that the construction process will generate revenue for the city and increase local employment. Also, in September 2021, the City Council refused to grant an application by real estate developers to rezone parts of the Doves Crossing neighborhood, noting that the application would only be approved when residents of the neighborhood express their support for the project.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in College Station?

Unfair business complaints from College Station are reviewed and addressed by the Consumer Protection Division (CPD) of the Texas Attorney General (AG) Office. Residents can submit such complaints with this Division online or by mail. The CPD provides a printable consumer complaint form in English and Spanish for residents who wish to submit their complaints by mail. Interested residents can obtain this form in their preferred language, complete it, and mail it to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

Residents are advised to file their complaints either online or by mail, and not through both processes. Also, when filing an unfair business complaint, it is advisable to attach relevant paperwork to support your claims. Examples of such paperwork include signed agreements, checks, and written correspondences.

Complaints received by the CPD are reviewed, investigated, and in some cases, the CPD may bring a civil action against the business or professional you mentioned. However, you should be aware that any lawsuit filed by the CPD regarding your complaint is not in your personal interest, and the CPD is not responsible for your personal redress. To ensure that you get personal redress, you can engage a qualified attorney to help you consider your legal options or assist you with filing a small claims suit. Small claims suits in College Station are typically filed at the Brazos County Justice of the Peace Court, Precinct 1 or Precinct 3. Note that you cannot claim more than $10,000 in a small claims suit.