loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Carrollton?

Professionals in Carrollton must satisfy certain requirements before they can be eligible to offer their services within city limits. One such requirement is obtaining a professional license. The Texas Department of Regulatory Affairs oversees the licensing of professionals in Carrollton by issuing more than 30 license types to qualified individuals. In addition, some professionals are further required to register with specific city departments. An example of such professionals is construction contractors, who must register with the city's Building Inspection Department. Accordingly, it is crucial to verify your desired professional's licensing and registration status before engaging this professional to ensure that they can operate within the city. To verify a professional's license, you can check the TDLR's active license search portal or contact the Department at (512) 463-6599. To confirm if a professional needs to be registered within the city or make inquiries on a professional's registration status, you can contact the City Secretary's Office at (972) 466-3005.

Another requirement professionals must comply with is the procurement of any permits applicable to their occupational category. For example, construction contractors must obtain one or more building permits before performing construction-related activities within Carrollton. The city's Building Inspection Department handles the issuance of building permits and also addresses permit-related queries at (972) 466-3225.

Do Carrollton Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Carrollton has seven wards, and each ward is made up of several neighborhoods. The city is governed by a City Mayor and a 7-member City Council that establishes city policies, makes and reviews city ordinances, and generally creates a developmental plan for the city. Although members of the City Council are elected at large by city residents, each council member is assigned the duty of representing a specific ward during Council deliberations. The Carrollton City Council does not issue construction or home improvement permits, but it may reach resolutions and approve activities related to construction projects within the city. For example, in June 2021, the City Council approved the construction of an elevated storage tank to improve the city's water distribution system and meet the city's water needs. Also, in August 2021, the City Council assented to a city ordinance that will allow an expansion of the Downtown Carrollton light rail station. The aim of this expansion is to give room for the construction of the DART Silver Line Regional Rail in Carrollton.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Carrollton?

Residents of Carrollton can report unfair business practices within the city to the Texas Attorney General (AG) Office. The Texas AG Office receives and addresses such complaints primarily through its Consumer Protection Division. Residents can file unfair business complaints with this Division online or by mail. Residents who prefer to mail in their complaint must first download a Consumer Complaint Form, which is available in English or Spanish, fill in any requested information, and mail the completed form to

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

Before filing an unfair business complaint, residents are advised to try to settle their complaint with the professional or business in question amicably. If a complainant prefers to submit a complaint, it is recommended that this complainant include any supporting documentation like transaction receipts, written bids, and signed agreements. Such documentation generally helps speed up the complaint review process. For assistance or inquiries on filing unfair business complaints, residents can contact the CPD's consumer protection hotline at 1-800-621-0508.

The Texas AG Office evaluates and considers the best course of action for each complaint it receives. However, you should be aware that the AG Office only acts in the public's interest and cannot represent you in court or order monetary compensation in your favor. To ensure you are compensated, you can initiate a small claims case at the Denton County Justice of the Peace Court, Precinct 6, which presides over small claims cases involving a maximum amount of $20,000. However, it is recommended that you consult a qualified attorney before commencing any legal proceedings.