loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Arlington?

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) is responsible for regulating and licensing professionals in about 39 industries in Arlington. Professionals that operate in the construction industry are also required to register their state-issued licenses with the City of Arlington Planning and Development Services. Interested persons can verify city-issued licenses and registrations by searching for them on the Arlington Permits portal or by calling (817) 459-6502. Likewise, you can verify TDLR-issued licenses by searching its Active License Data Search portal.

Additionally, note that permits are required when erecting, constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, improving, removing, converting, moving, or demolishing any building, storage sheds or fences, or other improvements. You can contact the Arlington Building Inspections Department by calling (817) 459-6500 to inquire about any permits that may be required if you are embarking on a project that falls within any of the aforementioned categories.

Do Arlington Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are eight district councils in Arlington and each of the districts is represented in the City Council, which is the city's legislative body. While the City Council possesses the authority to approve and adopt the city budget, levy taxes and make or amend city laws, policies, and ordinances, it does not issue construction permits. Nonetheless, it approves construction projects to be carried out by the city's government. For example, in 2019, the City Council approved the Transformative Development Project which involved the construction of a new convention center, corporate office headquarters, mixed-use residential building, and small business coworking space. Commenced in 2020, the project aims to strengthen Arlington's convention and tourism opportunities and create new revenue, housing, and jobs for residents. Similarly, in line with the council's priorities, the city began rebuilding five residential streets in East Arlington that have deteriorated beyond general maintenance. Construction commenced in July 2021. To find out which council district your residence belongs to, check out the Arlington Council District Map.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Arlington?

The Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General Office receives complaints filed against unscrupulous professionals and businesses in the City of Arlington. Interested residents can file complaints online, by calling (800) 621-0508, or by mailing a completed Consumer Complaint Form (also available in Spanish) to the office at:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

You can also file a report with the Arlington Police Department, especially if the complaint contains criminal allegations. Such complaints can be filed online or by calling (817) 274-4444.

Note that you will be required to provide relevant information and documents about your transaction with the professional or business. As such, make sure you have documents like receipts, contracts, and copies of your correspondence ready before proceeding to file a complaint. It is also recommended that you institute compensatory action against the professional, considering that the aim of the agencies mentioned above is usually to secure punishment for the defaulting business and not to recover complainants' money. Your suit will usually fall within the authority of the Tarrant County Justice of Peace Court since it has jurisdiction over small claims of $10,000 or less.

Professions in Arlington