Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Abilene, TX

How to Verify a Professional's License in Abilene?

Professionals in Abilene are regulated by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). The TDLR has over 35 programs under which professionals in Abilene are licensed and it is important that you hire professionals licensed by the department if you want to have a successful project. You can confirm the licensing status of any professional you intend to hire through the TDLR's license Data Search portal.

In addition to making sure that you hire the right professional, you should also ensure that all other legal requirements for embarking on your chosen project are satisfied. For example, for projects that involve building, demolishing, home improvements, repairs, and other construction-related tasks in Abilene, you will need to obtain a building permit from the Abilene Building Inspections Division. For inquiries on what permits are required and how to obtain the permits, you can contact the department at (325) 676-6232.

Texas Contractor License Search:

Do Abilene Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Abilene neighborhood groups and organizations do not have the authority to issue building-related permits to residents or businesses. Rather, these associations work together with the city officials, particularly the Abilene Neighborhood Services Division, to build and support neighborhood leadership and promote programs and services that help improve the lives of the people in the different neighborhoods and the city in general. As some of its initiatives, in tandem with neighborhood associations, the city's neighborhood services division provides a few financial and developmental programs that residents of Abilene may benefit from. Some of these include the Critical Repair Program, which assists Single Family Owner occupied homes with critical repair problems, the First Time Homebuyer Program that provides $5000 for first time home buyers based on income and family composition, and the Single-Family Rehabilitation Program to assist homeowners to bring their homes in line with city codes. Also, on the 20th of May 2021, the Abilene City Council approved new design plans for a downtown convention center hotel. This approval, which was just one step of the process for the building of the hotel, led to the subsequent approval of funding for the project in August of the same year.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Abilene?

If you have been subjected to unfair trade practices, been the victim of consumer fraud, or have any other complaints against a business or professional in Abilene, you can channel your complaints to either the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) or the Office of the Attorney General of Texas.

The TDLR only handles complaints in relation to professionals licensed under it and it also receives reports of unlicensed activity. You can report unlicensed activity to the Department through an online complaint form provided by the Department for that purpose. On the other hand, if your complaint is against a professional licensed by the Department, complete a separate complaint form, which is also available online, and make sure you attach all supporting documents. After the TDLR receives your complaint, it investigates to determine if there has been any violation by the professional. If it is determined that there is a case to answer, an investigation is carried out and the professional may be subjected to the internal disciplinary measures of the board or program it belongs to if found liable.

Alternatively, you can file a complaint against a business or professional through the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas. You can file your complaint by calling the office's consumer protection hotline at (800) 621-0508 or through the online consumer complaint form maintained for that purpose. If you are unable to file your complaint through any of these methods, you can complete a complaint form, which is to be sent to the Division at

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 12548
  • Austin, TX 78711-2548

It is important to note that the complaint process offered by the Division is a mediation process, and as a result, it cannot compel businesses to resolve your complaint in the manner you desire. Also, the Division cannot institute legal action on your behalf or serve as your personal lawyer. In some instances, civil lawsuits may be filed on behalf of the public. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the complaint process, you can proceed to a Taylor County Small Claims Court to file a legal action against the business.